Sunday, January 16, 2005

A Day in La Coruna

This morning I woke up early and got ready to go to the train station. Matt and I were meeting Scott, David, and Brian to go to La Coruna. We arrived about twenty minutes early and bought our tickets. Matt went first and only had a fifty. The guy wasn't very happy. He did not want to break a fifty, but that is all Matt had so after much hesitation he gave Matt change. Then I got my ticket and we went to grab a cup of coffee while we waited. Scott and David arrived shortly after and they came to get some coffee. As David sat down he said, "I think I really made that guy made because I didn't have change for a fifty." Matt and I laughed and explained what had just happened to us. We were waiting for Brian as Scott's phone rang. It was Brian, he thought we were meeting at Scott's place and that the train was leaving later. He had ten minutes to get from far, far, away to the train station. Matt and Scott thought for sure that he was going to miss the train. We finished our coffee and were getting ready to get on the train and as Scott said, "There is no way Brian is going to make it," he ran in the doors to the train station. Matt told him to get his ticket quickly as we stood outside waiting for the train. Brian comes running out, out of breath and says, "Do you guys have change, he won't take my fifty." It was hilarious. So, Brian made the train and we were off to La Caruna.

We first went to Vida Nueva, a church that was planted maybe a year ago. Everyone there was really nice. I really enjoyed singing the songs, many of them I already knew either in English or from CAV. It is so awesome to worship God with people from other cultures and people who speak a different language. It always reminds me of how awesome my God is and gives a little closer glimps of what heaven will be like. There was also a teen leading some of worship which was very powerful. We spent some time praying for other churches in the area and for that church. The message was about the church and what it is supposed to look like. I think I cought the just of the message. At least bits and pieces of it. After church I really had to go to the bathroom and when I was exiting, I couldn't get the door opened. How embarassing! I thought I was stuck in the bathroom. I finally got the door opened and was very happy that I didn't have to start knocking from the inside for someone to let me out.

We went to Roberto's house after church for lunch. He is the Pastor of the church and I met him last week when he was visiting Santiago. His wife Nancy and their two kids Sophi and Josue, I'm not sure how to spell them. Lunch was yum, yum, delicioso. After lunch we went to a close cafe for a cup of coffee. As we were sitting there talking the place got really dark. They had pulled all of the blinds down and turned on the television for the soccer game that we were going to go to. We called a taxi which arrived in two minutes. Now, most taxi's hold 5 people max, but we made this one hold six. It was a very tight squeeze. I felt like I was either never going to leave my seat, or pop out. I'm glad that the ride to the stadium wasn't extremely long.

We got our tickets for the game and then found our seats. We were a little late, but still got to see most of the game. The stadium was packed and very loud with passionate fans. One guys got injured, for real, and they pulled him off the stage with a stretcher. Then a ref. made a really bad call which made the crowd go wild. Then towards the end of the game our team scored. We thought we were going to win for about a minute when the other team scored. The game ended 1-1. It was a gorgeous day for a soccer game. I would have to say it was a pretty impressive game, being my first ever Spanish soccer game live. Leaving the stadium was crazy. Masses of people were walking on the streets. We finally made it to a taxi line and when our taxi pulled up we all crammed in. The taxi driver looked at us like we were crazy and explained tha he was only taking four passengers, so Matt and David got out and went to the next taxi. Back at the train station many college students were heading back to school, so it was packed. Today was a great day. Beautiful weather, aawesome church experience, coffee, great food, and a soccer game. Wow, I'm tired.
Hasta Manana

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Becca rocks my face off!!!! Can I come to Spain? It sounds like so much fun, but you definitely deserve a fun time there. I miss you!!!-Katie

January 18, 2005 at 6:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home